Friday, April 16, 2010

Regurgitated Writing Promp

All of my creativity has been going into my creepy dreams, thinking of ways to kill frogs, and my awesome writing class. So instead of something fresh and pretty and new, you get a regurgitated writing prompt from class, but mostly because I want to play with it a bit more.

Prompt: Write a single scene from two different viewpoints. Stick with third person, but look at the scene from the vantage of two different characters. Our prompt is "Of course I love you." Who says it? What happens next?

I started out wanting my character to be talking to himself in the mirror, but realized that leaves me missing a character for my second viewpoint, so I had to scrap that. I'm only posting the first viewpoint, as my second one is sitting a bit oddly with me. Tweaking is called for.

Have you got 10 minutes? You should do the prompt too. There are a million ways you can go with it. You know you want to do it...




"Of course I love you," he says, leaning over the sink to spit out a mouthful of toothpaste. He rinses the brush under the running water and continues scrubbing. Up, down, up, down. He moves slowly from left to right, eyes locked with hers in the mirror. He spits again.

"I've been very busy at work lately, it's like everyone in the city needs a checkup at the same time." He reaches for the mouthwash. She stays silent, just looks at his reflection. "How about I get off early tonight and we go to the park? We can have a picnic."

Her eyes light up and she does a silent happy dance.

Finished in the bathroom, he gives her a pat on the head as he brushes past her. He slips his feet into his shoes and grabs his keys off the table by the door. "Come on Molly," he calls as he reaches for the leash. "Are you ready to go to daycare while Daddy's at work?" He clips the leash to her collar, grabs his keys, and Molly happily prances out the front door ahead of him.

No comments: