Wednesday, February 08, 2012

The Dawn of a New Era

I'm not going to say I'm back, because only time will show if that's really the case or not. But I have promised to update more regularly. Since I'm currently updating approximately once a year, I don't see that being a tough goal to accomplish. I'm 5 days into a very lovely case of the Shingles, which have started to appear in visible places. I'm not leaving the house while I look like a monster/plague victim/freak show, so I can't use the excuse that I'm too busy.

I'm marathoning Parks and Recreation (which is hilarious, how I missed out on this show for so long I don't know) while Lolo is sitting on my bed growling out the window at the breeze. Or maybe she's growling because it sounds like one of the neighbors is reenacting a war zone down the street. Is it an airsoft gun battle? Is one of the neighbors gunning down everyone in sight? Are they using some sort of garage tool that I'm completely unfamiliar with? The world may never know.

I've been talked into writing about my trainwreck of a dating life, which we shall refer to as Kay's Blind Gayting (mis)Adventures. Unfamiliar with the term? A blind date is someone you meet for the first time when you have a date with them. Gayting is either used to define "When 2 people of the opposite sex (one of which is gay) are best friends and/or hang out on a regular basis" or "When two men go on a date." I don't see why gay boys get to have all the fun with this word, so I am commandeering it for my own use.

I would like to be clear that I am perfectly content on my own, that I do not need a relationship or anyone else to make me happy. I rock all by myself. But sometimes I get a little curious about what's out there, what the dating world has to offer. I moved back to Cali a few months ago and my best friends are all 2+ states away, so sometimes I do get a little lonely and want someone to go out with. Mostly I've been looking for new friends, but being a girl who likes other girls, the door is always open for it to be more than a friend date. Which can get confusing. It becomes a game where what is not said matters just as much as what is said. Subtext is infinitely important. Or maybe it's just me. I freely admit that I question everything. I often have to ask for clarification, not because I don't understand a person's meaning, but because I can see several different meanings and I want to be clear which one they intended to express.

I have not been in a relationship, serious or otherwise, for 3 years. I'm ok with that. I'm no slore, I don't sleep around and I have standards.


So before I jump into this let's have a disclaimer: These stories are all true. The people involved are real people with real feelings. I always try to keep that in mind and treat others as I would like to be treated: with fairness and respect. All views are my own and I acknowledge that this is only my side of the story. I could easily be the star of someone else's trainwreck blind gayting adventures. And finally, all names and some identifying details have been changed to protect the innocence of those involved.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

YAY! I can't wait to read about your gayting adventures. Bad gaytes (is that the right term?) make for fantastic writting fodder. HOORAY!

Kay said...

Bad gaytes are definitely good writing fodder. And I have avoided writing about them for far too long. A wise owl once told me "Once you accept a date with someone, you are basically signing a release to be blogged about." So it. Is. On.

Michelle said...

Whooooo told you that?
Haha.
See what I did there?
Oh, puns...

Kay said...

I do see what you did there. You're so punny!

INNER VOICES said...

you can use my real name... where in the this great state are you hoeing up?errr, holing up?! errrr... hanging out?

buwhhahahaha....


last year a bunch of people from my blog roll all met up in l.a., it was a pretty funny experience. as you know i totally enjoy meeting random strangers from the blogland and impressing them with my, well "me" abilities... so if yer back in ca. lets have some tequila and make some some fodder for a blog post!